The Standards Advisory Group (SAG)
The Standards Advisory Group directs the development of and approves nuclear industry training standards in support of the Delivery Plan.
The Group reports to the Nuclear Skills Strategy Group.
- Determining skills and training standards needed for the nuclear sector, with regard to Labour Market Intelligence, international standards, government and other public policies
- Reviewing existing standards on the Nuclear Industry Training Framework and other applicable standards, to ensure their continued relevance to the sector
- Producing a strategic map of skills standards required across the industry
- Commissioning new skills standards
- Approving newly-developed standards on behalf of the sector
- Reviewing progress in development and deployment of standards and related products
- Advising the Nuclear Skills Strategy Group on issues related to skills standards
- Advising the National College for Nuclear when the consideration of the development of educational curriculum is appropriate in support of skills standards
- Co-ordinating employer activity on the development of apprenticeship standards and competency frameworks
- New Industry Training Standards, Job Contexts, Training Programme Guidelines, Apprenticeship Standards, Competency Frameworks and similar skills- and training-related standards as required.
- Apprenticeship Map for the Nuclear Industry
The Nuclear Standards Advisory Group has published an updated Apprenticeship Map for the nuclear sector in the UK.
It is intended to be a useful guide for those in the UK nuclear industry and its supply chain, looking for suitable apprenticeship routes for their employees in common occupations. This updated version is based on the same list of occupational areas used for the Nuclear Workforce Assessment. Covering the different apprenticeship systems of England, Scotland and Wales, it identifies the most suitable likely apprenticeship Standards and Frameworks –– including their approval status, levels, and funding bands.
Apprenticeship Survey – the Standards Advisory Group undertook in 2019 the first survey of Apprenticeships in the nuclear sector, to provide information on the use of Standards and Frameworks, usage of the Apprenticeship Levy, and plans for apprenticeships in the future. A report analysing the survey was published in December 2019 and is available on the Publications page of this website.