Nuclear Delivery Plan
Nuclear Skills Strategy Group Programme Delivery
Active programme management drives progress and oversees the delivery of skills programmes, activities and initiatives for the UK nuclear industry, to address the key risks set out in the Nuclear Skills Strategy set by the NSSG.
Meeting the UK’s ambition for continued nuclear power and associated activities is only possible with the right workforce. The skills pool will need to grow and this challenge will be compounded by attrition from the ageing existing workforce as well as the long lead time to develop nuclear specialists. The NSSG sponsored Nuclear Workforce Assessment shows:
- The total workforce programme demand for 2017 is 87,560
- The peak demand in 2021 is now forecast at 100,619
The NSSG has developed a Delivery Programme to optimise employer investment in skills development, education and R&D in order to deliver the Nuclear Skills Strategy.
This includes co-ordinating the nuclear skills related activity of bodies and associations in the skills system, overseeing provision of skills products and services to the nuclear industry and ensuring arrangements to assure the quality of delivery of the activities.
The NSSG is accountable for:
- Development of an overall Delivery Plan for the implementation of the Nuclear Skills Strategy
- Driving progress against the overall Delivery Plan
- Optimising and monitoring employer investment (in combination with public funds) in skills development, education and R&D in order to deliver the Nuclear Skills Strategy
- Optimising and monitoring the nuclear skills related activity of bodies and associations in the skills system
- Commissioning and endorsing solutions from relevant bodies as appropriate, with consideration of required funding routes
- Overseeing provision of skills products and services to the nuclear industry
- Ensuring that arrangements are put in place to assure the quality of delivery of the activities
- Ensuring the delivery of the annual Nuclear Workforce Assessment report
- To Identify, monitor and report skills Key Performance Indicators (e.g., return on investments and reduction in skill gaps) and the overall performance/effectiveness of initiatives and activities
- Overseeing communications of achievements relative to the overall Delivery Plan